Reminder, Corinne has thrown away all but one pacifier.
So, yesterday, before her nap, we removed her diaper and she went potty (normal routine). Then we went to her room where she was picking out books to read. We read the books, she grabbed her paci and laid down to sleep.
Now, did we forget anything? Yes! Putting on a new diaper! In case you didn't know, missing this step with a non-potty-trained child means a wet bed. I realized we missed this step when Corinne came down from her nap with wet pants. Of course I had to strip her bed and wash everything, including the paci (just in case). I also let Corinne know that she may have to sleep in her "nanny's" bed that night since I knew I wasn't going to be able to get her bed remade by bed time (we were having dinner at a friends house that night).
That night when we got home (about 9:30, an hour past her normal bedtime), Scott took care of Corinne's bath and getting her to bed, while I bathed and fed Marin. When Corinne asked for her paci, Scott could only answer that he "didn't know" where it was and she didn't ask for it again.
Now, as the mommy, I had to go check on her and make sure everything was ok. I mean, it couldn't be, she was in a different room and didn't have a paci! Well, she was fast asleep! Awesome! She only woke up once that I know about, around 4:15, opened the door, but got back in bed. I probably didn't need to check on her, but in my head there is no way it could have been that easy. When I asked her if everything was ok, she needed to go potty. So, we went potty and did replace her diaper this time :). Then she went back to bed, never even mentioning her paci and slept till almost 7.
Well, she is down for her nap now and has yet to mention her paci. Wish us luck!
Update 4/21/12 3:15pm: We were back to her normal routine last night. She did ask for her paci, which I said must have been lost when I had to wash everything (Scott had to rub it in that at least when he said he didn't know where it was, he wasn't lying, because he is pretty sure that I do know where it is). There was a small discussion about this, then a bit of refusal to go to bed, but it was pretty easy to get her redirected back to reading books. Once it was time to lay down, she again tried to have us do something else, so I got her to relax and actually say her prayers with me (which I found out she could do, since she didn't have anything in her mouth), then fall asleep without mentioning the paci again. She didn't get out of bed until 6:45am!
At nap time there was no mention of the paci, but she did try to decline a nap. Once she relaxed and laid down, she fell asleep easily. I think she missed the thought of the paci, but thankfully doesn't need it.
Just a side note: I realize that she is at an age where declining a nap is normal. I'm fine if she doesn't nap. However, she will have to go to her room for at least an hour of quiet time each day because mommy needs a break :)
That is great - big sister, big girl
ReplyDelete